May 01 2009
Little kids are easily amused. The most mundane games and tricks seem to keep them entertained for hours. One of the big activities when I was younger was hand clap games. For the unenlightened, the most mild form is Patty Cake, but it gets so much more intense.
In retrospect it seems silly that these random songs and clapping motions could be so enthralling, but damn were they important at the time. Get in the middle of a game and you could get a wayward slap that would leave a mark.
Yes, most of the songs made no sense. Yes, many of the clapping motions were the same game to game. And yes, I might still enjoy a Rockin’ Robin tournament from time to time. Here’s a round-up of the most popular routines:
Miss Mary Mack
Double Double This This
Down By The Banks (With the Hanky Panks)
I Went To A Chinese Restaurant
Apple On A Stick
Slide (A game too intense for lyrics)
- Remember When… “Reality TV” Was All About Slime?
- 8 (Completely Unscripted) Game Show Marriage Proposals
- Mariah Carey’s “Obsessed” Makes Us Nostalgic for the Mariah Carey of the 90s
- The Best Videos of the Olsens Before They Disappointed Us By Growing Up
- Taylor Momsen’s Band, “The Pretty Reckless”, Perform On MTV
2 Responses to “Getting Handsy: 8 Old School Clapping Games”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.